Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Political Dividends

Getting face-to-face with legislators at their events is always good. But it's important to use that opportunity as a way to build a win-win relationship with them.

My approach is to ask them what they think of helmet laws. (I do it conversationally, and not on a mic where they'll be put on the spot.) If they give me the right answer, then I know they're on our side with just about any other bikers rights issue.

Then I totally change the subject ... to campaign work. Who's in charge of volunteers, trading phone numbers, etc. This is where we really get the dividend, by becoming valuable to the legislator AND his staff.

That's also the moment when the table turns, and they are now seeking our help. But if we just show up asking for a laundry list of favors, we're just like everyone else ... standing in line, looking for a hand out.

- RIDE2REPEAL@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment