Sunday, May 23, 2010

Campaigning in LA

I just finished a very productive weekend, working as a campaign volunteer for a biker-friendly candidate. Early on Saturday I drove up from San Diego, and then delivered signs in and around Los Angeles. (Click on map to see the district.)

Though it made for two long days of riding, it was still a lot of fun. Not only did I meet the candidate and his campaign staff, I even got free food!

Believe it or not, most campaign volunteers prefer to make phone calls and knock on doors. They hate delivering signs.

But for bikers, about the only fun thing to do is deliver signs. We're outdoors, riding our bikes ... all without having to deal with "civilians." What a deal!

Delivering campaign signs is both fun and productive. Kinda like a scavenger hunt -- only in reverse. Find the address, plant the campaign sign. Then dash off to the next address. Repeat until free.

Fortunately for me, I now have a GPS on my handlebars. I just plugged a list of addresses into the gizmo, and just followed wherever it led me.

So I saw some of the most beautiful countryside you could imagine. And then I decorated some of it with campaign signs.

I also stopped by a couple of motorcycle shops that I happened to see along the way. It was pretty easy to stop in, and talk to the store manager about our candidate. At one shop, the store manager asked me for a campaign sign to put into his storefront window. Of course I let the candidate know we earned him a new business supporter.

Now I'm a little sore, but it's the good kind of sore. Just like after you go running, or lift some weights, you know you did some good.

Our candidate saw a biker busting his butt to help him get elected. And since actions speak louder than words, we'll have yet another advocate in Sacramento when motorcycle laws are being considered.

- RIDE2REPEAL@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment